Pages

Monday 30 May 2011

My favourite albums: Vici

I have two excellent lists to share today. The first one comes from Vici, who lives in London and I know from her always-entertaining Twitter stream @kikilookeylikey. Vici's list is in no particular order, but she adds that in fact her all-time favourite album is the "perfect" Now 39. An exciting choice!

Hanson - Middle of Nowhere
I have given up being embarrassed about this. There is something absolutely joyous about feeling 11 again, and this does it every time.

Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
I first listened to this album on a long and depressing coach trip from London to Darlington, following an odd, 5 hour trip to the capital. It fit my mood exactly.

Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
This was pretty much the only album I listened to for three solid months when I was 16 and had just broken up with the then-love-of-my-life. First heartbreak has a peculiar intensity that even first love cannot match.

Blur - Parklife
I was that bit too young for Britpop, but idolised my sister just as much then as I do now. I grew into this album, I think.

Sheri Renee Scott & Norbert Leo Butz - The Last 5 Years
This is the most beautiful musical, charting the breakdown of a relationship; the male character tells the story from beginning to end, while the female character starts at the end and works backwards. It is haunting.

Robbie Williams - I've Been Expecting You
See: Hanson.

Blink 182 - Enema of the State
See: Robbie Williams (it was a good time in my life)

They Might Be Giants - Flood
JUST JOYOUS.

Various - Moulin Rouge! Soundtrack
Yes, partly because of my overwhelming, decade-long crush on Ewan McGregor. But also splendid in its own right.

Paul Simon - Graceland
When I was about 6, I decided that this was the Best Album Ever. I still feel the same way now.

Sheona White - The Voice of the Tenor Horn
The tenor horn is a lovely and under appreciated instrument. Sheona White is its mistress. (Interesting (to me) fact: Sheona White is featured in the BBC version of Perfect Day. Listen to it with me sometime, and I will point it out to you.)

Yann Tiersen - Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain
You know that weird mood that cats get in when it's windy? This is the musical version of that.

Athlete - Vehicles and Animals
I just really, really like this.

Eva Cassidy - Songbird
It was compulsory for all girls I knew to like this album when I was 15. Rightly so.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
I realise it's much cooler to love Blood Sugar Sex Magik. But this is what I knew first, so this is what I love best.

Thanks to Vici. To contribute your list to my pointless though entertaining collection, click here.

No comments:

Attention

You have reached the bottom of the internet