Pages

Monday 11 July 2011

The America project - introduction

Oh, hello there.

Recently I've been lucky enough to make a new friend. And they are from the United States of America, which is a foreign country. This makes me giddy with the exotica of it all.

But it has also made me think. British people are very keen on dismissing Americans' knowledge of European geography and history as being insular or lacking. Personally, I feel that this is a ludicrous position, as is any assumption made about any group of over 300 million people. And anyway, how much do we in Britain know about the ol' US of A?

There are, of course, fifty States, all with their own strong identities and histories, many of them multiple times the size of our entire country. My immediate response to anything is to make a list, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make a handy crib sheet of notable facts about each and every US state, in alphabetical order.

Hopefully I'll learn a lot of new things. Hopefully I'll even remember some of them. I'll also be using the label "America" on each post so that you can gather them all together and use it to cheat on exams and pub quizzes.

No comments:

Attention

You have reached the bottom of the internet